Kinew Announces New Shadow Cabinet to Hold Pallister Government to Account
March 6th, 2019
Winnipeg, MB – Official Opposition Leader Wab Kinew announced a revamped shadow cabinet to continue to hold the Pallister government to account for deep cuts to health care, education and jobs. The new roles were announced as the 4th Session of the 41st Legislature resumes.
“Over the break we heard directly from families and workers who are seeing health care get worse and life get more expensive thanks to Brian Pallister,” said Kinew. “Our NDP team is fighting hard against Pallister’s reckless plan to close hospitals and cut education. We are ready to continue to take that fight back to the Legislature and stand up for regular Manitoba families.”
Bernadette Smith, MLA for Point Douglas, will take on the role of Critic for Health and Active Living. She will also serve as the Whip of the Official Opposition. Amanda Lathlin, MLA for The Pas, will replace her as Critic for Families and will serve as Deputy Whip.
Nahanni Fontaine, MLA for St. Johns, will add the role of critic for Military and Veterans Affairs to her portfolio and will maintain her responsibility as House Leader of the Official Opposition. Jim Maloway, MLA for Elmwood, will replace Matt Wiebe, MLA for Concordia, as chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee. Ted Marcelino, MLA for Tyndall Park, will assume the role of critic for Housing issues.
NDP Leader Wab Kinew will take on the role as critic for Manitoba Hydro.
The current list of critic duties is as follows:
- Wab Kinew (MLA for Fort Rouge): Leader of the Official Opposition; critic for Executive Council; critic for Municipal Affairs; critic for Intergovernmental Affairs and International Relations; critic for Francophone affairs; critic for Manitoba Hydro
- Bernadette Smith (MLA for Point Douglas): Whip of the Official Opposition; Critic for Health, Seniors and Active Living;
- Nahanni Fontaine (MLA for St. Johns): House Leader of the Official Opposition; critic for Justice; critic for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG); critic for Status of Women; spokesperson for critic for LGBTTQ* issues; critic for Military and Veterans Affairs
- Amanda Lathlin (MLA for The Pas): Deputy Whip of the Official Opposition; critic for Indigenous and Northern Affairs; Critic for Families; critic for Persons with Disabilities
- Tom Lindsey (MLA for Flin Flon): Caucus Chair of the Official Opposition; critic for Crown Services; critic for Labour; critic for Civil Service Commission; critic for Growth, Enterprise and Trade
- Rob Altemeyer (MLA for Wolseley): Critic for Environment and Climate Change
- James Allum (MLA for Fort-Garry Riverview): Deputy critic for Municipal Affairs
- Jim Maloway (MLA for Elmwood): Critic for Infrastructure; critic for Consumer Affairs; chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC)
- Ted Marcelino (MLA for Tyndall Park): Critic for Agriculture; Critic for Housing
- Flor Marcelino (MLA for Logan): Critic for Immigration and Multiculturalism; Critic for Sports, Culture and Heritage
- Matt Wiebe (MLA for Concordia): Deputy House Leader of the Official Opposition; critic for Education and Training; Critic for Finance