In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Manitoba Public Health officials have imposed limitation on non-essential activities throughout the province. The Manitoba NDP and all of its constituent bodies have a responsibility to dutifully follow these directives to ensure the health and safety of our members and the public. These directives also impact on the operations and outreach activities of the Manitoba NDP.
The Manitoba NDP Executive has approved the following official protocols for Constituency Associations activities during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Many of these protocols have already been communicated to Associations
Suspension of In-Person Meetings, Foot Canvassing, and Events
Until further notice, all in-person meetings, foot canvassing activities, and events are suspended. Strict adherence to social/physical distancing is expected, and no Association should plan or execute any of the above activities until receiving further direction from Provincial Office.
It is essential that our Associations and membership stay strong during throughout this crisis. Subject to the restrictions above, the following activities are permitted and encouraged:
- Associations should hold Executive meetings over the phone. Provincial Office has provided Association Presidents with instructions on how to facilitate conference calls for Executive meetings.
- Executives should develop plans to call through/contact their membership and check in on members’ well-being, communicate public health and Party information, and solicit feedback to be shared with our Caucus.
- Executives should develop plans for membership retention, including conducting membership renewals over the phone.
- Fundraising activities are limited to direct-ask or phone-based efforts only. Note that the 50/50 revenue sharing is in force.
During this crisis, all members have a duty to be socially responsible. This includes:
- Following the instructions and directives of public health officials. At this time, this includes practicing social/physical distancing, avoiding non-essential travel, and working from home when possible.
- Limiting visits to grocery stores to once a week, going alone, and treating grocery workers with respect.
- Not sharing unsourced, inaccurate or misleading information about the pandemic, particularly through social media.
- Not hoarding essential supplies and food.
- Being generous in your support for local businesses, non-profits, charities, and front line workers, if able.
We are all in this together, and now is the time for coming together as a society to work cooperatively to the benefit of all. Wab Kinew, your NDP Caucus, and staff are working with our friends in organized labour and non-profit sector to ensure the Manitoba government takes appropriate actions to keep front-line workers safe, support families who are having trouble paying their bills, and to protect the health of all Manitobans. We are sending regular email updates to all members and posting information to social media. You are encouraged to share this information within your circles to get the word out.
The Manitoba NDP thanks all the nurses, doctors, health care workers and support staff for their tireless commitment during these trying times. We owe them, and all other front line workers – like grocery and pharmacy workers – our gratitude for putting their own health and safety at risk for the rest of us.