Campaign Carbon Offset
Manitoba’s NDP has purchased 10 tonnes of carbon offsets from GoldStandard.org to offset its environmental impact during the 2019 Manitoba General Election. According to the Suzuki Foundation, GoldStandard.org is “widely considered to be the highest standard in the world for carbon offsets”.
The campaign van is a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan. According to Natural Resources Canada, the combined fuel economy for this vehicle is 11.8L/100km. Myclimate.org’s carbon offsets calculator shows that the emissions of driving 20,000km at the rated fuel economy is 8.6 tonnes. Manitoba’s NDP purchased 10 tonnes of offsets to cover emissions from the tour van, and to account for any additional carbon footprint of the campaign, including secondary vehicle usage.
The following projects are being supported with these offsets:
- 20 MW Solar Project in Rajasthan, India
- Safe Water Access in Rwanda
- Planting Biodiverse Forests in Panama
- Low Smoke Stoves in Darfur
- Solar Cooking for Refugee Families in Chad
- Kenya Biogas Programme
- Cleaner, Safer Water in Cambodia
- Myanmar Stoves Campaign
- 20 MW Biomass Power Project in Chhattisgarh, India
- WithOneSeed Community Forest Programme